March 3, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — Yesterday the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (the “Department”) confirmed pro-lifers’ First Amendment right to hold signs, including along the State’s Highways, in response to Thomas More Society’s letter challenging the Department’s censorship of Fayetteville 40 Days for Life participants’ pro-life signs.
“The Department’s letter officially confirms what we already knew to be true: the First Amendment applies even next to a State Highway,” said Corrina Konczal, Thomas More Society Associate Counsel. “This amicable resolution ensures that the 40 Days for Life participants are able to hold signs informing passing drivers of their public stand for life without the fear of unjust criminal punishment.”
During the pro-lifers’ eighth peaceful prayer vigil outside the Fayetteville Planned Parenthood abortion facility along Highway 265, a Department employee told the pro-life volunteers that they could not display any signs—not even hand-held signs—during their vigil. The official threatened each participant with a fine between $25-$100 if they continued to hold any signs.
Thomas More Society’s letter, sent last week, challenged the censorship of the pro-lifers’ signs as a clear violation of the First Amendment. Fortunately, the Department’s prompt response confirms the pro-lifers’ right to hold signs “on a matter of public importance” during their vigil.
“Since last week, we have not been able to use signs informing people of why we are praying in front of the abortion clinic—a key part of 40 Days for Life,” said Sheena Archambault, 40 Days for Life Fayetteville coordinator. “Thank you to Thomas More Society for working with the Department to protect our rights.”
NEW YORK (March 2, 2015) — Mayor Bill de Blasio is not planning to march in the nation’s biggest and oldest St. Patrick’s Day parade unless its organizers change their limitations on displays of gay pride.
De Blasio skipped the march a year ago and currently intends to do so again, aides to the mayor said Monday. This year, one group is permitted to carry an LGBT-themed banner in the March 17 parade up Fifth Avenue but the mayor, a Democrat, does not feel that change is enough.
The parade’s organizers have not suggested that they will alter the policy. The event — one of the largest parades on the city calendar — has been held for than 250 years and Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, will serve as grand marshal.
Additionally, some Irish leaders have condemned de Blasio’s long-delayed plan to ban horse carriages from city streets. Many of the carriage drivers are recent Irish immigrants.
Copyright American Family News Network 2006-2014
Sign a petition to stop Ontario’s graphic sex-ed curriculum here.
TORONTO, March 3, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The new elementary school sex education curriculum just unveiled by Ontario’s Liberal and lesbian premier, Kathleen Wynne, is a “disaster,” and amounts to “sexual abuse,” according to psychotherapists interviewed by LifeSiteNews.
“Any action which sexualizes a child before he or she is ready is sexual abuse,” said Dr. Robert McDonald, a retired psychotherapist and medical doctor. “Therefore so-called sex-ed for children before puberty is an act of sexual abuse.”
Wesleyan University, once a Christian school, is now offering campus housing for 15 different alternative sexualities, also known as “LGBTTQQFAGPBDSM.” It has a specific place for sadomasochists, but straight males looking to join a men-only fraternity are out of luck.
When Wesleyan ordered all of its fraternities to admit women on the allegations of “sexual discrimination” and “false and deceptive practices,” Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) sued school officials, according to The Christian Post (CP), arguing that their sexual libertinism had gone too far.
February 26, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — A vast majority of Americans want the government to stay out of their personal affairs when it comes to defining marriage and how they conduct their work lives or businesses, a new survey says. And a great majority also oppose the idea of the Supreme Court forcing the entire country to accept marriage redefinition.
Eighty-one percent of Americans agree with the statement, “Government should leave people free to follow their beliefs about marriage as they live their daily lives at work and in the way they run their businesses,” according to a survey commissioned by the Family Research Council (FRC) and the National Religious Broadcasters (NRB).
OMAHA, Neb. (March 2, 2015) — A federal judge blocked Nebraska’s gay marriage ban on Monday, but the decision will not take effect for a week and the attorney general’s office immediately appealed to the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska sued the state in November on behalf of seven same-sex couples challenging the ban, which passed with the approval of 70 percent of voters in 2000. In addition to prohibiting gay marriage, the ban also forbids civil unions and legalized domestic partnerships.
The ban means that same-sex couples miss out on medical and financial benefits available to heterosexual married couples, U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon said as he issued the injunction.
His order blocking the ban takes effect March 9.
Bataillon previously struck down Nebraska’s gay marriage ban in 2005, saying it violated the constitutional rights of gays and lesbians. An 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel reinstated the ban in 2006.
According to the court’s online records, the Nebraska attorney general’s office filed an appeal straight after Bataillon issued the injunction. A spokeswoman for Republican Attorney General Doug Peterson said attorneys in their office were reviewing the ruling and would issue a statement later Monday.
Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Republican, said the majority of Nebraskans voted for the constitutional amendment.
Gay marriage is currently allowed in 37 states and the District of Columbia. The U.S. Supreme Court announced Jan. 17 that it would decide whether same-sex couples have the constitutional right to marry everywhere in the U.S. A decision is expected by late June.
Schulte reported from Lincoln, Nebraska.
Copyright American Family News Network 2006-2014
MOUNT VERNON, WA, March 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — For one public hospital district in the state of Washington, funneling clients to Planned Parenthood is not enough to satisfy the expectations of the pro-abortion American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which is suing the hospital district for failing to actually perform a sufficient number of abortions.
Skagit Regional Health stands accused by the organization of violating the state’s “Reproductive Privacy Act,” a law that bars the state from restricting abortions performed before viability or to preserve the “health of the mother,” and requires public hospitals offering maternity services to offer “substantially equivalent” access to abortion, as well.
After sending a city spy to report on church activities in order to collect incriminating “evidence,” the City of Lake Worth in Florida is now demanding that church property owners obtain “business licenses” to avoid foreclosures, hundreds of dollars in daily fines and ultimately shutting services down.
After being informed about the local government’s “KGB-type harassment,” Liberty Counsel issued a letter to the City of Lake Worth. Attorneys with the Christian nonprofit legal organization are demanding that it retract what they are calling a baseless order requiring all churches in the area — some of which have been pillars of light in their communities for nearly a century — to close their doors.